This recipe makes either a tasty dessert or breakfast item. It is also the last entry to the Fourth of July Eatery Series for this Independence weekend. The recipe makes 6 pop tarts at approx. 232 calories/pop tart. Sans toppings, each pop tart is only 208 calories.
Before we begin–yes, I slightly cheated and used store-bought dough. Hey, I ran out of time. But feel free to make it truly authentic by making your own dough–you’ll need to prepare it at least a day in advance.
Alrighty, back to the recipe:
What You’ll Need:
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust (2 layers)
- Some homemade strawberry jam (or store bought)
- 1 egg
- 3 oz blueberries
- 6 medium strawberries, sliced
- 6 tbps low fat whip cream
- 1 tbsp water
How to Make:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll one of the pie crusts and square the edges. Cut into rectangles. With a rolling pin, roll edges into 4 more square edges. You should have 12 squares at this point. Layer 6 squares on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or (if you’re like me and forget to buy these things ahead of time, on some foil).
- Place 1 tsp of jam in the center of a rectangle, spread a little, and top with another piece of crust.
- Crimp all four edges. Repeat until you have 6 pastries. Use a sharp-tipped knife to make 3 diagonal incisions.
- Bake the pop-tarts for about 7 – 8 minutes on each side or until slightly brown.
- In a cup, break the egg and separate the yolk. Discard the egg whites. Add about 1 tbsp of water to the yolk and whisk. In the last minute, brush each pop tart with the yolk mixture for a light glaze.
- Allow the pop tarts to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spray 1 tbsp of whip cream onto the 3 diagonal lines in each poptart. Top with blueberries and sliced strawberries. Serve warm.
Leftover pop tarts should be stored in an airtight container. To serve warm, heat in the microwave, or flat in a toaster oven.
This concludes my Fourth of July Eatery series and it’s been a true pleasure sharing my weekend menu with all of you. These recipes can really be enjoyed at any time of the year, and I hope I’ve inspired you to try some. Now, I’m going to have an incredibly well-deserved, low-key day. 🙂
Peace, Love, and Live Life Full,