What’s Independence Day without a variety of skewer meats? Here’s another side for the Fourth of July Eatery Series that’s sure to please your taste buds! Coming in at approx. 89 calories/skewer (makes 14 skewers), the scale will be pleased too.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 oz white mushrooms
- 6 skewers
How to Make:
- In a large glass bowl, mix together lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce, oregano, minced garlic, brown sugar, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Reserve about 1/4 cup of this marinade for basting. Add steak and mix well.
- In a 2 gallon Ziplock bag, add onions, mushrooms and green peppers. Top with marinade and shake. Refrigerate overnight (or if you’re in a hurry, refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours).
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Thread steak, green peppers, onions and mushrooms onto skewers in an alternating fashion. Discard marinade and the bag.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook kabobs for 10 minutes, or to desired doneness. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, baste frequently with reserved marinade. Serve hot.
This is America, and this is how we do! 😉