Continuing the Fourth of July Eatery Series–in true patriotic fashion–we’re taking it to the grill. We’re putting a spicy twist on the good ole’ burger with this easy to make recipe. 😀
What You’ll Need:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¼ cup seeded, chopped banana peppers
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ tsp season salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
How to Make:
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a bowl, mix the turkey, peppers, and goat cheese. Season with season salt, cayenne pepper and ¼ tsp black pepper. Form the mixture into 4 or 5 patties.
- Cook patties until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes on each side (internal temperature should be 180 degrees F).
- In a bowl, toss cilantro with avocado, onion, tomato, jalapeno peppers, lime juice, salt, and black pepper to make an avocado salsa mix.
- Serve the burgers on whole wheat buns topped with the avocado salsa mix.
Coming in at approx. 554 calories/burger (232 cals per patty; 64 cals per scoop of salsa; and 130 calories per whole wheat bun), and chuck full of protein and good fats, it’s a surprisingly healthy way to celebrate America’s birthday! Enjoy!