The sides of the Fourth of July Eatery Series are coming along nicely. This is a modification on a recipe a friend gave me and, believe it or not, the modifications actually took the calorie count down! Though high in calories, this side dish is just too good to pass up! The recipe makes 8 skewers at approx. 347 calories/skewer.
What You’ll Need:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts – cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 slices turkey bacon
- 6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 2 hours
How to Make:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, ranch dressing, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, salt, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, pepper, and sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes. Place chicken in the bowl, and stir to coat with the marinade. Pour entire mixture into a gallon Ziploc bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours.
- Preheat the grill for medium-high heat.
- Thread a piece of onion about 1 ½ inches down the skewer.
- Thread the end portion of one strip of turkey bacon onto skewer so the rest of the strip is hanging down. Skewer on a piece of chicken; thread on the next portion of the bacon. Turn the skewer so that the long end of the bacon is again hanging down. Repeat this process of skewering and turning until the entire strip of bacon is threaded, using 4 to 5 chicken pieces.
- Thread a second piece of onion onto the end of the skewer.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 for all six skewers.
- Cook the skewers on the preheated grill, turning every 3 to 4 minutes, until nicely browned on all sides and the meat is no longer pink in the center, 12 to 16 minutes total per skewer.
It’s too good for words!!!